The Texas Department of Transportation reports that 4,497 people were killed and 18,880 people were seriously injured in motor vehicle accidents in Texas in 2021. The time may come that you are injured in a motor vehicle accident and might benefit from hiring a car accident lawyer in McAllen, TX. Texas law gives you the right to pursue compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other damages, but getting the compensation you deserve can be difficult.
If you were involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, you probably need an auto accident attorney. Car accident victims are vulnerable to insurance tactics. These powerful companies may take advantage of victims simply trying to get fair compensation after being hurt because of someone else’s carelessness. A car accident attorney can handle your legal claim while you focus on your recovery.
While you are free to hire a car accident lawyer at any point, there are times when it is worth seriously considering.
Liability Is In Question
Texas is an at-fault state for car accidents. The party responsible for causing the accident is responsible for paying for the damages they caused. For this reason, many careless drivers who cause accidents try to deny responsibility so they will not be on the hook financially.
An experienced car accident lawyer can help investigate the cause of the accident.
Car accidents may be caused for various reasons, such as:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Fatigued driving
- Driver inexperience
- Lack of maintenance
- Defective auto parts
A lawyer can use the information gathered during the investigation and preserve evidence to establish fault and financial responsibility for an accident.
You Want to Protect Your Claim
Another reason why you may want to hire a car accident lawyer is to protect yourself from insurance companies’ underhanded tactics. Insurance companies are powerful companies that make millions or billions of dollars a year by receiving more premiums than paying out on claims.
Insurance companies try to deny or minimize the value of claims by:
- Asking for a recorded statement (possibly while the victim is still recovering or on pain medication) to say something to use against them
- Offering a quick settlement in hopes the accident victim will accept it before they hire a lawyer and learn the real value of their claim
- Getting the accident victim to sign a release for their medical records and then blame a pre-existing condition on their injuries
- Trolling their social media pages for any information they can use against accident victims
An experienced car accident lawyer can inform you of these insurance company strategies, give you tips on minimizing their effectiveness, and protect you from them.
You Were Seriously Injured
Car accidents can result in serious injuries, potentially impacting any part of the body. The accident’s speed, force, and velocity can impact the human body in different ways.
Some common injuries car accident victims might experience include:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries
These injuries can result in expensive medical bills and adversely affect your life in various ways.
You Want to Receive a Fair Settlement
Insurance companies are notorious for downplaying victims’ injuries and trying to resolve their claims for as little money as possible. An experienced car accident lawyer can thoroughly investigate and prepare your claim to argue for the most amount of money possible.
A car accident attorney can negotiate with the insurance company from a position of strength by accounting for all of your accident-related losses, including:
- All of your medical expenses, including emergency treatment, ongoing care, and the expenses you are likely to incur in the future
- Lost wages, employment benefits, and long-term earning capacity
- The full costs to repair and replace your damaged vehicle and any other personal property that was damaged in the accident
- Ongoing pain and suffering
- The psychological impact of the accident, including the fear, depression, anxiety, and PTSD
An experienced car accident lawyer will aggressively pursue every dime you are due.
The Timeline to File a Claim Is Running Out
You only have about two years following an accident to file a personal injury lawsuit if it becomes necessary, according to Texas’ statute of limitations. If the time is running out to file your claim, you may want to contact a lawyer. A lawyer can file your legal claim to protect your rights and preserve evidence to support it.
What to Look for In a Car Accident Lawyer
If you decide to hire a car accident lawyer, there are certain traits to look for, including:
- Experience working with the insurance company – A car accident lawyer can work effectively to protect clients’ claims by working with the insurance company.
- Trial experience – Insurance companies know the attorneys who will settle every case and the ones who are willing to fight for what you deserve in court.
- Knowledge of car accident laws – Car accident victims should work with someone who is knowledgeable about Texas laws on car accidents.
- Approachable demeanor – You want a lawyer who will be easy to work with and easy to talk to. A car accident lawyer should advocate for their clients and be relatable. A compassionate lawyer can hold your hand and walk you through the storm.
Take Advantage Of A Free Consultation with a McAllen Car Accident Lawyer
You can learn more about lawyers by calling and requesting a free evaluation.
Contact our attorneys at The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa. Call us at (956) 436-5405 today to take advantage of a free consultation with our McAllen car accident lawyer. We can explain how we can help with your car accident case.