Navigating the aftermath of a pedestrian accident in McAllen, TX can be overwhelming and challenging. At The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa, our McAllen pedestrian accident lawyer focuses on providing compassionate representation to those injured by negligence or misconduct.
Our team understands the complexities of pedestrian accidents, from dealing with insurance companies to navigating traffic laws. If you or a loved one have been injured, we can help you recover compensation from the at-fault party.
Why Should I Hire The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa After a Pedestrian Accident in McAllen, TX?
Choosing the right lawyer after a pedestrian accident is important. A lawyer can significantly impact your case’s success, including the compensation you may recover.
At The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa, our McAllen pedestrian accident attorney offers:
- Local Experience: Our McAllen personal injury attorney is well-versed in state and local law. This experience is vital for navigating the legal system and ensuring that your pedestrian accident case is handled properly.
- Experience with Courts and Insurance Companies: We have experience dealing with local courts and insurance companies. We can help you negotiate settlements with insurance companies and litigate in court if necessary.
- Case Valuation: Pedestrian accident victims face physical injuries, financial losses, and emotional trauma. We can help you value your damages and present a demand for everything you are owed.
- Investigations: Our team will assist you in investigating your accident. We will obtain police reports, witness statements, and medical records to bolster your claim.
- Litigation: Our lawyer is a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association. We have years of experience litigating pedestrian accident cases in McAllen and can help you take your case to court if necessary.
By choosing an experienced lawyer to represent you, you benefit from their local knowledge and experience to obtain the best outcome possible. Call today for a free initial consultation with a skilled pedestrian accident attorney in McAllen, Texas.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in McAllen, TX?
Despite safety campaigns, pedestrian accidents and fatalities have increased in recent years. Pedestrians in accidents often face catastrophic injuries since they are not protected from the size or weight of cars, trucks, and other vehicles.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, there were 5,764 crashes involving pedestrians in Texas in 2022. These crashes resulted in 829 deaths, and another 1,526 people were seriously injured.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents in McAllen, TX?
Pedestrian accidents in McAllen can be traced to common causes. A pedestrian accident may even have a combination of causes.
- Distracted Driving: Drivers distracted by phones, GPS systems, or other in-car distractions are less aware of their surroundings. They may overlook pedestrians in crosswalks or walkways.
- Speeding: Speeding is a significant factor in pedestrian accidents. High speeds reduce a driver’s ability to react to sudden changes, such as a pedestrian crossing the road or stepping out into traffic. High speeds also increase the severity of accidents.
- Failure to Yield the Right of Way: Many pedestrian accidents occur at intersections or crosswalks when drivers fail to give way to pedestrians. This is especially common when making left or right turns when drivers do not see pedestrians.
- Poor Visibility: Driving in low-light conditions, such as at nighttime or in bad weather, increases the risk of pedestrian accidents. Accidents are also common in dimly lit areas when pedestrians wear non-reflective clothing, which makes them difficult to see.
Drivers and pedestrians should be aware of these causes. With proper precautions and safety measures, many pedestrian accidents can be avoided.
What Injuries Occur in McAllen Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accident victims can suffer a range of injuries. They vary in severity from minor to life-threatening – or even fatal. The nature and extent of your injuries will depend on different factors, such as the speed and size of the vehicle involved.
Common injuries in McAllen pedestrian accidents include:
- Head Injuries: These injuries can range from concussions and other traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) to skull fractures. Head injuries are particularly dangerous and can have long-term cognitive and physical effects.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: These injuries can be devastating, leading to partial or complete paralysis. Damage to the spinal cord can result in a loss of sensation or function below the injury level.
- Broken Bones: Pedestrians may suffer from fractures in various body parts, such as the legs, arms, ribs, and hips. These may be simple or complex fractures.
- Internal Injuries: These injuries include internal bleeding, organ damage, and other injuries. They may not be immediately apparent but can be life-threatening if not treated promptly.
- Psychological Trauma: Pedestrian accident victims often suffer from psychological impacts such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, and emotional distress.
- Fatalities: Pedestrian accidents can result in fatalities and wrongful death in the most severe cases.
These injuries underscore the seriousness of pedestrian accidents and the importance of seeking immediate medical attention after an accident. Injuries also form the backbone of most personal injury claims. A McAllen pedestrian accident lawyer can help you evaluate your injuries and pursue compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
What Damages Can I Recover After a Pedestrian Accident in McAllen, Texas?
You may be entitled to recover different damages after a pedestrian accident. These damages are meant to compensate you for the losses from the accident, including injuries and emotional trauma.
While a McAllen pedestrian accident lawyer can help you identify economic and non-economic damages available in your case, here are some common examples:
- Medical Expenses: This includes costs for medical treatments related to your pedestrian accident, such as emergency room visits, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, and future medical care.
- Lost Wages: If your injuries prevent you from working, you can claim compensation for lost income. If your ability to earn money in the future is impacted, you can also seek damages for loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: These damages compensate you for the physical pain and emotional distress you experienced due to the accident. This can include ongoing discomfort, anxiety, trauma, and the overall impact on your quality of life.
- Property Damage: If your personal property, such as clothing or electronic devices, were damaged in the accident, you can be compensated for their repair or replacement.
- Disfigurement and Permanent Disability: Compensation may be available if your pedestrian accident caused permanent disfigurement, like scarring, or disability.
- Wrongful Death: Pedestrian accidents can cause fatalities in tragic cases. A victim’s family can pursue wrongful death damages, which may include funeral expenses and compensation for loss of companionship and financial support.
The types and amounts of damages can vary significantly based on the details of your case. Consulting a McAllen personal injury lawyer can give you a clearer understanding of what you may be eligible to recover in your specific case.
Who Could Be Liable For My McAllen Pedestrian Accident and Injuries?
In a McAllen pedestrian accident case, the defendant is the party you allege is responsible for your damages. The defendant in your case will depend on the specific circumstances of your accident.
Common at-fault parties in pedestrian accident cases include:
- The Driver: If a motorist caused your accident, that driver is typically the primary defendant.
- The Driver’s Employer: If the driver was working at the time of the accident, their employer might also be held liable.
- Vehicle or Parts Manufacturer: If a vehicle defect or malfunction contributed to your accident, the manufacturer of the vehicle or the faulty part might be liable.
- Government Entities: If your accident was partially caused by poor road conditions, inadequate signage, or faulty traffic signals, a local government may be a defendant.
Identifying the liable party is a crucial step after a pedestrian accident. A personal injury lawyer in McAllen can help.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in McAllen, TX?
The time limit for filing a pedestrian accident lawsuit is governed by the Texas statute of limitations. For personal injury cases, including those involving pedestrian accidents, you generally have two years from the accident date to file a lawsuit.
Consult a McAllen pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible after an accident. A lawyer can play an important part in protecting your rights. It is important to note that if you miss the statute of limitations deadline, you will likely lose your right to sue for damages related to your accident.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in McAllen, TX?
At The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa, we have observed the financial impacts of pedestrian accidents firsthand. Many victims are faced with mounting medical bills and debts.
That is why our McAllen pedestrian accident lawyer represents victims on a contingency fee basis. Under a contingency fee, you will not be straddled with upfront fees if you choose to retain us. Instead, we will take a fixed percentage of any settlement or award we secure on your behalf.
To learn more about the contingency fee arrangement, schedule a free consultation with The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa.
Contact Our Experienced McAllen Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today For a Free Consultation
It is natural to feel lost and overwhelmed after being the victim of a pedestrian accident. Few victims know how to get the compensation they deserve for their injuries and trauma.
At The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa, our McAllen pedestrian accident lawyer is ready to guide you through every step of the process. Our team offers the experience, support, and dedication you need to get back on your feet after a pedestrian accident, minor or severe. We serve Hidalgo County and its surrounding areas.
Our personal injury law firm in McAllen, TX also handles:
- McAllen Bad Faith Insurance Lawyers
- McAllen Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- Bus Accident Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- Car Accident Lawyer in McAllen, TX
- Construction Accidents Attorneys in McAllen, TX
- McAllen Dog Bite Lawyers
- McAllen Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- McAllen Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- Premises Liability Attorneys in McAllen, TX
- Product Liability Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- McAllen Slip and Fall Lawyers
- McAllen Truck Accident Attorneys
- Uber Accident Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in McAllen, TX
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office in McAllen, TX
The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa
6316 N 10th St Building D, Suite 102
McAllen, Texas, 78504
Hours: Monday to Friday,
from 9 am – 5 pm
McAllen Truck Accident Client Review
“When in stress and frustration, the only thing you want is for some type of guidance to help you get to the next step. We are very pleased with this Team! Mr. Ochoa and his staff really came through and helped throughout the whole process. Not only were they very informative; they were also available every time we called! We couldn’t have chosen a better team.”
Read more of our Google reviews.
Highly Rated Emergency Rooms In McAllen, TX
- McAllen Emergency Room – 6700 N 10th St, McAllen, TX 78504
- South Texas Health System ER McColl – 4702 S McColl Rd, Edinburg, TX 78539
- Emergency Room at Rio Grande Regional Hospital – 101 E Ridge Rd, McAllen, TX 78503
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Highly Rated Physical Therapy Clinics In McAllen
- Pure Physical Therapy – 5413 N 23rd St, McAllen, TX 78504
- XO Physical Therapy McAllen – 2001 S D St, McAllen, TX 78503
- Top Grade Physical Therapy – 2801 W Expy 83 #210, McAllen, TX 78503
- McAllen Physical Therapy: Fortino Gonzalez – 5201 N McColl Rd, McAllen, TX 78504
- Performance Therapeutics – 500 Lindberg Ave, McAllen, TX 78501
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.