Were you recently injured in a motorcycle accident in McAllen, TX? Motorcycle accidents can leave you struggling with painful injuries for months or even years. If you were injured, an experienced McAllen motorcycle accident lawyer can help you fight to recover fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and personal pain, suffering, and trauma.
At The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa, we’ve dedicated our entire legal practice to fighting for accident victims like you. We’re well-qualified to help you stand up to the insurance companies and defense lawyers.
Why Call The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa for Help After a Motorcycle Accident in McAllen, TX?
The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa should be one of your first calls if you were injured in an accident.
Our McAllen personal injury attorney is well known for our successful legal representation throughout the Rio Grande Valley. The insurance companies know us, too. When they see our name, they’re much more likely to stop the games and take your case seriously.
Hire us, and your lawyer will:
- Handle your insurance claim from start to finish
- Immediately launch an investigation to determine who is liable for your injuries
- Hire experts to prove various elements of your personal injury claim
- Defend against any attempts to blame the victim
- Help you make important decisions and determine whether a settlement offer is fair
- Negotiate with the insurance companies for a full settlement
- File a lawsuit and fight for your rights in court if the insurance company won’t play fair
We also work on a contingency fee basis. That means you won’t have to worry about legal fees because we don’t charge anything upfront. If you were involved in a motorcycle accident, call our McAllen Personal Injury Attorneys to learn more about an attorney-client relationship today.
How Common Are Motorcycle Accidents in Texas?
A total of 9,094 motorcycle wrecks were reported by the Texas Department of Transportation in 2022. That number might seem small. After all, the DOT reports hundreds of thousands of car accidents every year. However, motorcycle wrecks have the potential to be much more severe than typical auto accidents.
In 2022, at least 562 motorcyclists were killed in motorcycle crashes across the State of Texas. Overall, 39% of those motorcyclists were not wearing helmets. Another 2,422 motorcyclists were seriously injured in traffic accidents that year.
Fortunately, at least 3,148 people were lucky enough to walk away with only minor injuries.
What Causes Most Motorcycle Wrecks in McAllen, Texas?
Most often, motorcycle accidents are caused by negligent drivers.
More specifically, some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Drugs and alcohol
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Weaving between lanes
- Aggressive driving
- Racing through intersections
- Dangerous left-hand turns and U-turns
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Potholes, damaged roadways, and other road hazards
- Limited visibility
Motorcycle wrecks are almost always preventable. Still, as we know, they happen all the time. If you were a victim, it’s important to know why your accident happened. Determining causation is the first step toward holding those responsible accountable.
What Is My McAllen Motorcycle Accident Case Worth?
The cost of treating motorcycle accident injuries can be incredibly high. The more serious your injuries, the higher your compensation is likely to be.
When you factor in things like pain and suffering, your settlement or verdict could be worth a lot of money if your injuries were severe. The insurance companies know that. They’re betting that you might not.
While all cases are different, here are some of the factors that will impact your case value:
- The type of injuries you’ve sustained
- Whether you’re expected to make a full physical recovery
- If not, the nature of your long-term or permanent disability
- Whether your work or earnings have been impacted
- Your out-of-pocket costs and the cost of your medical treatment
- Damage to your quality of life
- Whether your own negligence played any role in the accident
It’s always a smart idea to have a lawyer review your case before accepting any insurance settlement. Our lawyer will carefully review the facts to determine your case value. We’re here to protect your legal rights and help you get results.
What Types of Damages Should I Expect if My Motorcycle Accident Claim Is Successful?
You can seek compensation for all of the economic damages and non-economic damages that you experience because of the motorcycle wreck.
Economic damages are meant to put you back in the financial position you had prior to the accident and might include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Funeral costs in fatal accident cases
Non-economic damages compensate victims for losses that don’t have a clear financial value, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress
- PTSD and fear
- Mental health issues, including anxiety and depression
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages are much more rare. You must have clear evidence that the defendant acted intentionally or with reckless disregard for human life to seek punitive damages.
What Happens to My Right to Compensation if I’m Blamed for a Motorcycle Accident in Texas?
People tend to blame motorcycle riders for causing wrecks. Motorcyclists have a reputation for being reckless. While that’s not justified, it can significantly impact your compensation if you let it.
Under Texas’ modified comparative negligence law, you lose your right to compensation once your share of fault reaches 51%. If you share some blame, but less than 51% responsibility, your compensation is reduced by your percentage of fault.
It’s very likely that someone will try to blame you. If they succeed, they can avoid paying you full compensation. Be prepared to defend yourself by contacting our experienced lawyer in McAllen today.
Our McAllen Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Full Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Motorcycles don’t come with airbags and seatbelts. At most, bikers have a helmet to protect them in a crash. Even a relatively minor crash can leave motorcyclists struggling with life-changing injuries.
At The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa, we often represent clients in accident cases involving:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Other head and neck injuries
- Chest injuries
- Degloving injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Wearing a helmet can be extremely effective in preventing serious head injuries and death. Helmets cannot protect you from all injuries in a crash.
If you were seriously hurt, don’t wait to contact a lawyer. You don’t have to recover fully to have a lawyer in your corner. While you take care of yourself, our team will be working to build your claim for compensation.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Motorcycle Accident in McAllen, Texas?
Most motorcycle crashes happen because someone makes a mistake. Drivers almost never set out to cause an accident. Victims must therefore prove negligence in almost every accident case.
To succeed and recover compensation after a McAllen motorcycle crash, you must prove the following four elements:
- Duty of care: all drivers have a duty to take reasonable precautions and avoid putting others at risk
- Breach of duty: the at-fault driver made a mistake and violated the duty of care
- Causation: the breach was the direct cause of the accident (there were no intervening factors)
- Damages: you suffered some physical, financial, or emotional harm
Our lawyer in McAllen have the resources to conduct our own investigation and locate evidence to support your personal injury case.
We’ll search for any useful evidence, including:
- Police reports
- Video surveillance footage from traffic lights, dash cams, nearby businesses, and any other available sources
- Witnesses who can testify about what they saw
- Data from the crash scene, including skid marks, vehicle damage, and overall conditions
- Photos of the wreckage and injuries
- Medical records
- Drug and alcohol test results
- Licensing information
If the evidence is there, you can count on our team to find it. Just call our law firm in McAllen to schedule a free case evaluation today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Motorcycle Accident in Texas?
Most motorcycle accident victims have two years to file a lawsuit. The two-year clock starts to run on the date of the accident. After this “statute of limitations” expires, you lose your right to compensation entirely.
There are exceptions to the statute of limitations, but only for some cases. Contact us as soon as possible after your crash to protect your legal rights and options.
Contact a McAllen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for help
Accidents and injuries can be extremely overwhelming. Many victims simply don’t know what will happen next or where to turn for help.
You don’t have to handle the aftermath alone. We serve Hidalgo County and its surrounding areas.
Our personal injury law firm in McAllen, TX also handles:
- McAllen Bad Faith Insurance Lawyers
- McAllen Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- Bus Accident Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- McAllen Car Accident Lawyer
- Construction Accidents Attorneys in McAllen, TX
- McAllen Dog Bite Lawyers
- McAllen Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- McAllen Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- Premises Liability Attorneys in McAllen, TX
- Product Liability Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- McAllen Slip and Fall Lawyers
- McAllen Truck Accident Attorneys
- Uber Accident Lawyers in McAllen, TX
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in McAllen, TX
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office in McAllen, TX
The Law Office of Lino H. Ochoa
6316 N 10th St Building D, Suite 102
McAllen, Texas, 78504
Hours: Monday to Friday,
from 9 am – 5 pm
McAllen Motorcycle Accident Client Review
“When in stress and frustration, the only thing you want is for some type of guidance to help you get to the next step. We are very pleased with this Team! Mr. Ochoa and his staff really came through and helped throughout the whole process. Not only were they very informative; they were also available every time we called! We couldn’t have chosen a better team.”
– Mariela Rios ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more of our Google reviews.
Highly Rated Motorcycle Shops In McAllen
- RGV Cycle Center – 910 Harvey St, McAllen, TX 78501
- JCS Performance – 11 S 5th St, McAllen, TX 78501
- Revolution Cycles – 1316 Trenton Rd, McAllen, TX 78504
- Ryker Powersports – 2012 W Nolana Ave, McAllen, TX 78504
- Adrenaline LLC – 2245 Austin Ave, McAllen, TX 78501
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.